Lesser Evils - Andrea Speed This review is more for the whole "Infected" series than specifically for this book.When I finished this book, I got really mad at the author because of the cliffhanger - and because I can't find any information about when the next part will be published. I'd recommend other readers to maybe only finish the fifth part and then wait, because the other books have rather clear endings. Otherwise, be prepared for a torturous wait!Although certain details (for example jokes - like "there's a dirty joke there somewhere, but...") became a bit repetitive in the last books, I feel the level of the series didn't lower book by book (maybe even got better - the 1st book was perhaps the weakest). [a:Andrea Speed|3020553|Andrea Speed|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1359797806p2/3020553.jpg] has managed to create humanly imperfect, but very likeable characters, and to make the reader really sympathise with them. Although most of the tears were shed at the end of the 2nd book, the characters have managed to get under my skin, so I felt tears in my eyes several times later as well (mostly because of memories of Paris - I'm very glad he still has a role in the books). Still, all this talk about crying shouldn't scare anyone away from the series - although the tone is rather pessimistic, there's still reasons to burst out laughing due to the conversations between these smart-ass characters, or feel butterflies in your stomach - and usually, the good guys win (more or less). This series just isn't simple and happy entertainment (which I also enjoy), but contains a certain amout of criticism of today's society, and the characters are mostly "broken" to some extent (for example have been abused as children). Similarly to [a:Maggie Stiefvater|1330292|Maggie Stiefvater|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1359424840p2/1330292.jpg]'s Mercy Falls series and [a:Deborah Harkness|3849415|Deborah Harkness|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1280280279p2/3849415.jpg]'s All Souls trilogy, the author tries to explain the shape-shifting (the cat-virus) scientifically - sadly I don't know enough about DNA etc to judge how realistic it is from this viewpoint. If you look at the characters and the society though, I think this series is very believable and true to life (forgetting the paranormal element, of course :)).Sorry about the rambling review, but my impressions are still pretty fresh, and reading this series has been a very emotional experience. I really recommend this to readers who don't mind GLBT topics!